1 Star: Awakening by Stovall Weems

Like many "10-steps to a better life books" or "weight loss" books, this book promises if you follow 1-2-3, you'll get a new and improved spiritual life, but is seems unrealistic and fails to give any real inspiration or new insights. We've heard it all before - fast, turn to God and live the life. This book is full of promises with selected bible verses plucked out of context and inserted to make you "feel good". To me, it felt sales pitchy, dishonest, and like the author's main motivation was to make easy money from banging out an easy book.

Also, I noticed the author contradicts himself: such as when he claimed your motivation for fasting should be improving your spiritual life and NOT to lose weight. But right after he tells you not to use weight-loss as a motivation, he tells you how he lost 60 lbs! Why would he tell you this unless he actually means to entice you to use weight-loss as a motivating factor?

The book was easy to understand and a quick easy read but I've heard it all a hundred times and I didn't find it thought-provoking or anything new here. I would pass because I doubt it will change your life or add much to your life.

I read that Stoval Weems associates with Word of Faith cult, Charismatics and Pentecostals, so these groups may enjoy this book. If you are not one of these groups, you may wish to skip it for theological/belief reasons.

My disclaimer - I received this book from the publisher Water Brook Multnomah free of charge but I always give honest reviews. I want you to be able to choose the best book based on stars because I know you have limited time and energy to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment