4 From Blah to Awe by Jenna Lucado Bishop

From Blah to Awe is a book written for teenage girls from Max Lucado's daughter, Jenna. At first, this book seemed like a fluff piece that would be shallow and feel good. But as you start to read, Jenna's openness and honesty about her own lack of faith, own selfishness, own sinfulness, own bordom with God is refreshing and real. Girls can actually relate to her and her down-to-earth demeanor. There is no pretenciousness, stuffiness or "I'm better than you" attitude. How refreshing!

This book was much more thought-provoking and insightful than I could have ever guessed. I actually found I really enjoyed the book and read it slowly to absorb all the gold nuggets. I think this book would make a great gift for searching Christians (teenage or adult women or even men!) because all the same ideas of selfishness over seeking God apply to all people of all age and genders.

One of my favorite parts of the book are the questions Jenna poses that really get you thinking. "I used to read the Bible stories about Daniel and the lions’ den or God sending manna from heaven with those childlike eyes. But now I sometimes find myself reading with “flat” eyes. “We are exposed to a great danger today,” writes Malcom McLeon, “the dying out of the sense of surprise.”2 And isn’t that true? Why don’t our eyes sparkle anymore?"

My disclaimer - I received this book from the publisher but I am not required to give a positive review. I always give brutally honest reviews and attempt to critically point out parts of the book that may not appeal to others. I want you readers to be able to confidently choose a book based on the stars I give it, because I know you have limited money, time and energy to read. So let's make the most of our lives and choose the very best books.

No comments:

Post a Comment