4 Stars: Then Sings My Soul, Part 3 by Robert J. Morgan

Then Sings My Soul, Part 3 by Robert J. Morgan is an appealing looking book with "shredded" page edges like one might find in a devotional. This book is about hymns, their beauty and also their history. The author split the book into 3 parts: First a history of hymns through page 54; Second 56 hymns alongside a history/description/author page; and third, 6 hymn stories from the author.

Not being familiar with hymns or what these songs sound like, my favorite part was actually Part 1 with the history of hymns throughout Christianity. Morgan's history was brief but to the point and covered many centuries. He expained how hymns came about and how they fell out of favor with the Reformation movement. Then he explained their resurgance with the Great Awakenings and then the movement away from hymns to modern songs. I really drew a greater appreciation for hymns because of this history lesson and Morgan's portrayal of hymns as forms of deep devotional worship.

Going through Part 2 with all the hymns was difficult for me because I have no background in hymns. I went on youtube to search out the songs and played versions sung by various artists. This was a new fun experience. I did find that after listening to them and reading the words along with the song, I had heard some of these hymns during Christmas time. I hope readers can find deep appreciation for these hymns by listening and singing along with them. Not being very musical, I still felt very inspired by these hymns.

My disclaimer - I received this book from the publisher but I am not required to give a positive review. I always give brutally honest reviews and attempt to critically point out parts of the book that may not appeal to others. I want you readers to be able to confidently choose a book based on the stars I give it, because I know you have limited money, time and energy to read. So let's make the most of our lives and choose the very best books.

No comments:

Post a Comment